Balti Meediamonitooringu Grupp OÜ is not responsible for third-party cookie technologies.
1.Types of cookies and data collected
1.1. Cookies and other tracking technologies are small text files that are installed on a user’s computer from websites that the user visits, unless the user has disabled the installation of all or a part of the cookies in their browser settings or on the respective website. Cookies enable to identify the user’s device when the user visits websites.
1.2. Cookies can be divided according to the time of their installation:
- Temporary or session-based cookies – these allow aggregating a user’s activities temporarily during a browsing session of a browser, i.e. from the opening of the browser window until its closing or up to 4 hours after the last browsing.
- Persistent cookies – these are permanently stored on the user’s device for the period specified in the cookie and are activated each time the user visits the website from which the cookie was installed.
1.3. Cookies can be divided according to their affiliation:
- First-party cookies – these originate from the website the user is viewing. Websites can use these cookies to store information that is re-used the next time the user visits the website. From the point of view of processing personal data, the data controller (or any data processor authorized by the controller), who manages the website the user is visiting, is the first-party cookie installer.
- Third-party cookies – these originate, for example, from ads of other websites posted on a website that a user visits. From the point of view of processing personal data, a third-party cookie is installed by a data controller, who is different from the administrator of the website that is being visited.
1.4. Data collected by cookies and classified according to the general purpose of installation:
- Required cookies – these are essential for navigating websites, using their features and providing services selected by users. Without installing these cookies, the user cannot be provided the website and the required services.
The data stored by the required cookies depends on the specific cookie. In general, cookies store changes in the privacy settings set by the user; what services the user wants to consume (i.e. service information); they allow logging in to services (i.e. save user ID, etc.); detect malicious use of the website (i.e. information about it); distinguish between a user and bots and collect the necessary information about the use of the website. The data collected is anonymous and does not process personal data.
- Statistical cookies – these collect information about how users use websites, for example which websites they visit most often and what error messages they receive from websites. In regard to personalized analytics cookies, see the description of the last cookie type. Some of the information collected is aggregated and anonymized. The purpose of these cookies is to improve the performance of websites.
Statistical cookies collect data about website visits and usage (including which (sub)pages, page sections were opened). For example, information is collected about the user’s device / user’s communication / experience with a web page (e.g., error messages, etc.), the ID address of the user’s device, and location information. Analytics cookies cannot access IP addresses. The data collected is anonymous and does not process personal data.
- Preference cookies – these cookies allow remembering the choices made by the user (such as text size, other properties that can be changed on the website) and attributes (such as the username, language or the country where the user is located) to provide more personal and convenient ways to use the website.
Preference cookies, although separated from the required cookies, are necessary for users to ensure that a suitable solution is displayed. Generally, the technical data of the user’s device is collected to determine the appropriate video quality, record the choices made by the user (e.g. the text size, other editable properties of the website) and attributes (e.g. username, language, country of location). The collected data is anonymous and does not process personal data.
1.5. Balti Meediamonitooringu Grupp OÜ uses the types of cookies described above on the Websites for the following purposes:
- for the smooth operation of the websites and for the provision of the service;
- to increase the user-friendliness and accessibility of websites;
- to improve the service – statistics and analytics cookies allow to improve the offered service based on the usage.
2. Legal grounds for processing
2.2. Grounds for processing (necessary because of legitimate interests or for the performance of the contract) depending on the type of cookies, if the processing is not based on consent:
- required cookies – since the required cookies are necessary for the provision of the service and without them the provision of the service cannot function, no consent for the use of the respective cookies is required. The grounds for the processing include either legitimate interests or a contract, if the use of a cookie is necessary to fulfil the contract between the User and Balti Meediamonitooringu Grupp OÜ.
- statistical cookies – the use of statistical/analytics cookies is necessary to provide the service. In the case of such cookies, the processing is based on legitimate interests.
- preference cookies – although cookies are not essential for the technical operation of the service, preference cookies are essential for providing a service suitable for the User and for ensuring basic user comfort, given that the respective cookies generally store information on the language, video quality, page size, etc preferences. The use of preference cookies is based on legitimate interests.
3. Changes to cookie settings
3.1. Cookie settings can be managed through a web browser.